Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Explorer How To Restart Explorer.exe When Your Desktop Doesnt Auto Refresh

Windows 7 is a great OS, hands down it’s the best I’ve ever used and to date
I’ve had no problems with it, until now…For some reason beyond me, every
so often my laptop decides to be stubborn and just refuses to auto-refresh
the desktop.
Now what do I mean by this? Well say I have a folder on my desktop, I delete
it, but it remains there. The folder itself is actually deleted, but the folder
icon is still there. It’s the same story when I go into my documents when I
rename files or add new ones etc… it does actually change, but you can’t see
the change. This has really been irritating me as of late and in the past I had
to do a full restart to fix the problem. After scouring the web to see if there
was a solution for this, and finding nothing but dead ends, i’ve decided to
develop my own solution. What it involves is stopping the “explorer.exe”
process, and then restarting it again.
Before I go into how to do this, can I just point out that this isn’t a permanent solution, it just prevents you from doing a full restart to fix it when it happens.
So first off we need to kill the explorer.exe process, now this can be done via
the task manager, or what I like to do is the following
Open the start menu -> Hold down Shift and Ctrl -> Right click on a blank
area of the taskbar -> A new window will pop up, then select exit explorer
Now this will kill the explorer.exe process and you will see your taskbar
disappear, don’t panic, it will be back in a minute. Now to restart it we need
to access the task manager by going Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Next go to File -> New Task and then enter explorer.exe into the box that
appears and hit enter. taskmanager How To Restart Explorer.exe When Your
Desktop Doesnt Auto Refresh. You’re explorer.exe process will then start up
again and you will have your taskbar back and with a bit of luck your desktop
is back to auto-refreshing as normal. Maybe I’m just unlucky, but has anyone
else had this problem with there machines? If so how often does it happen to
you? I’m getting it maybe twice a week Let me know in the comments below

No comments:

Post a Comment