Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

How to change my Documents folder sefault location path

The My Documents folder is a special folder that is attached to each
user account as the default save location for many types of file. Normally
this is located in "C:\Users\\Documents", but you may wish to
change this path to another directory or drive.
Changing and moving “Documents”(Win 7), “Documents” (Vista) or
“My Documents” (XP) to another folder on different hard drive or partition has advantage of keeping the system partition clean and reduce the risk of
running out of disk space. Beside, by placing and storing all personal or
business documents, ideas, notes, files in My Documents folder that is on
another separate drive or partition, users no need to worry about copy and
backup the data if there is a need to format and reinstall the Windows,
which may cause lost of all date stored in the My Documents in default
location.


Windows XP and Vista

Moving default document folder in Windows XP and Vista almost have the
same steps with Windows 7
Create a new folder that you want to assign as My Documents folder -> Click
Start -> Right click on My Documents (for XP) or Documents (for Vista).
You can also right click on My Documents or Documents folder that appears
in Windows Explorer, or in My Computer or Computer window (for Vista),
then select Properties in the context menu -> Click the Target tab (for XP or
earlier version) or Location tab (in Vista) -> Then click Move then browse to
new location for your My Documents folder. Once you find new folder for
your document click Select Folder -> then click Apply -> there will be pop
up message to confirm the change -> click Yes to move your documents to
the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location

Windows 7
Create a new folder that you want to assign as My Documents folder, if you
have another drive or partition ex: drive D: I recommended that you create
My Document Folder to that drive -> browse to "C:\Users\"
using Windows Explorer (Press WINDOWS KEY + E to access this). Then,
right click on My Documents and select Properties -> Then Click Location
Tab -> Then click Move then browse to new location for your My Documents
folder. Once you find new folder for your document click Select Folder ->
then click Apply -> there will be pop up message to confirm the changed ->
click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave
your documents in the original location

No comments:

Post a Comment